Gasoline doesn’t store very well over long periods of time, even with the addition of stabilizers and other fuel additives. It can be stored for 3-6 months, and diesel can be stored for 6-12 months. You can extend this time by adding a fuel stabilizer. If you choose to store gasoline as part of your fuel storage, know upfront that a real commitment to rotation needs to be made.
Portable generators can run on gasoline and can be used to power appliances and devices during power outages. If you need to fill your tank and can’t get to the gas station or the gas station is closed, having some extra gasoline stored for emergencies can come in handy.
- Gasoline is widely available
- Gasoline is highly flammable. You must be used with caution if you choose this as a fuel to store. See storage requirements for more information.
- Most cities prohibit this type of fuel from being stored in larger quantities above ground, so verify that it is legal to store gasoline in your area.
Rotate your stored gasoline every 6 to 12 months by adding the old to your car and buying new for your storage. Do this rotation in July because a different blend is used in the winter.
Proper Storage Containers
- Store in a red container labeled Gasoline and yellow for diesel.
- Have an airtight seal to reduce spills when not in use and prevent evaporation.
- Have a pour spout that controls the variable flow.
- Have automatic venting and automatic locking when the lever is released.
- If plastic, make sure it is made of durable HDPE with barrier materials to eliminate hydrocarbon emissions.
- Metal fuel cans are also available - auto-grade silicone can be used to coat the metal cans for longer preservation.
- Check your gas cans regularly for leaks.
- Keep it isolated from other fuels and do not store it in the house.
- Keep it in a cool, dark, ventilated area like the garage or an outbuilding.
- Keep your stored gas or diesel 50 feet away from an ignition source.
- Keep gasoline away from heat and moisture.
- Always keep an ABC Fire Extinguisher near the storage area.
3-6 months untreated, 6-12 months treated.